The ultimate wedding checklist
Planning a wedding is difficult, nobody ever tries to state that it isn’t. That’s why we’ve come together to create an ultimate wedding checklist.
This should give you a comprehensive guide on everything you could possibly need for your wedding, and when you should do it.
Side note: We know that some people have longer or shorter than a year to plan their wedding. This should be taken as a guide, not a be-all end-all. Every marriage is unique.
One year before
Make a mood board – This can be online, on some paper, or even a Pinterest board. Gathering ideas about what you want your own day to look like is the best starting place.
- Decide on a budget that you’ll be able to stick to
- Choose a colour palette
- Compile a guest list
- Pick a photographer
- Pick a date
- Reserve your venue
Nine months before
- Get engagement photos taken
- Start meeting with caterers
- Start looking for/buy your dress or suit
- Organise accommodation for your out-of-town guests
- Finalise the guest list
- Plan/purchase your invitations
Seven months before
- Organise your honeymoon – a little bit of serenity through the madness
- Choose the bridesmaid dresses
- Reserve everything you will need to rent – tents, chairs, tables…everything
- Book your florist
- Arrange all transport for day and night
Five months before
- Go cake testing (this should be loads of fun)
- Check the invitations that you have back and have yet to be RSVPed to.
- Choose the music for the day and night
- Book the hair and makeup
- Remind your maid of honour and best man about the hen party and stag party
- Make regular dress fitting appointments
- Book your wedding rehearsals
Three months before
- Work with your caterers to make sure the menus for both food and drink are finalised
- Print the menu cards
- Double check with your florist to make sure they know about your plans for the day
- Buy the rings
- Order the wedding favours
- Check that you’re sticking to your budget
Two months before
- Groomsmen attire needs to be bought and fitted
- Finalise all fronts with any vendors that you have been contacting
- Send out all the final payments for all the small details
- Meet with your photographer to check your plans, and explain everything you want pictures of
- Review the music
- Double check status of the invitations
One month before
- Get your marriage license – super important
- Attend a final dress fitting
- All alcohol for the after-party to be bought
- Create the seating arrangement
- Write your vows
- Check up on everything, from accommodation, venue, florist, photographer, rentals…everything.
- Touch base with everybody just one last time
- Give any small tasks to family members
- Start your pre-wedding ritual
- Pack for your honeymoon
- Date with your partner
- Break in your wedding shoes
The day will come much sooner than you might believe, but the most important thing is to enjoy the journey and the day.
Yes, it might be super stressful, but just embrace it. It’s your special day. We hope this checklist helps, be sure to print it off and use it to guide you towards your big day.
Download the checklist here!